UPWARD BOUND IS...
WSU Upward Bound-Okanogan County offers a diverse curriculum, with both group experiences and individualized academic counseling to support students in reaching their academic goals. Saturday workshops, regular specialty workshops, individual advising, tutoring and an opportunity to participate in various hands-on educational experiences provide a rich and fun learning experience for UB students.
Leadership and Community Service
WSU Upward Bound - Okanogan County provides opportunities for students to develop the community and leadership skills that will help them to become citizen-leaders in their chosen communities.
Cultural and Social Development
Each year WSU Upward Bound participants have the opportunity to choose, plan and experience a cultural/educational trip during Spring break. Over the years, students have chosen to visit various colleges throughout the state, the Museum of Glass in Tacoma; State Capital in Olympia; the Indian Cultural Museum at the University of Washington, the Total Music Experience, and China town districts in Seattle...just to name a few!
Focused Support for High School Seniors
Being a senior in high school is both exciting and challenging at the same time. Trying to keep up with classes and figure out how to get into college can make life very stressful. Upward Bound provides help to seniors and their parents to keep them on track, and to help them negotiate the college application process--with less stress!
Types of assistance:
- Information about college, financial aid, college entrance tests and more!
- Drop-in advising at the UB office or at school
- Personalized advice and editing for college essays
- Help in preparing and registering for pre-college tests
- Financial aid and college admissions workshop for parents and students
- Help in obtaining SAT and ACT fee waivers (for those who are eligible)
- Workshops about choosing the right college, money management, choosing a major, and many other topics